Sunday, October 22, 2017

First Build (in a long time)
I am not sure when I bought this Revell 40 Ford Pickup kit but I had bought it on a whim over a year ago. I had started building the engine and painted the body with some Rustoleum 2X spray paint and was reminded of a few things. First paint needs to be warmed up by sitting in a pan of warm water shaking it frequently. Second, shake the daylights out of it. Third shake it again. I am going to make a more specific post later on paints and what I learned but moral of the story here is unmixed paint is bad, and enamels are not for the impatient. I put the model away until this last summer when I pulled it out inspired to finish it.

I wanted to make it a flatbed and use the remaining bed to make a trailer. I had since purchased another Revel model a Tom Nancy dragster kit I was able to have extra axle etc. to make a trailer since that kit came with so many options. I decide it needs to look like a farm truck so I went about weathering it, adding some dents, glazing the paint etc.


I used basswood for the bed with some seamstress pinheads for the bolts. Constructed a rear bumper and hitch from aluminum tubing and scrap plastic. Using a pencil, lots of scraping I got the basswood to simulate some grain. Basswood is pretty bleached, to begin with, so some grain lines and damage get scraped in, using some thin shades of brown like a wash and tan paint you can get fairly close. I proceeded to make a rear tool rack, the kit had some wrenches on the chrome parts tree so they went in the toolbox along with some farm tools I made from scraps. The double barrel shotgun is for the wise guy that shot at my windshield.



This was my return to modeling, reminded me the fun of detail and dioramas.

-Hobby Dude

No comments:

Post a Comment